Protect Yourself and Your Family Against TSA Tyranny

Letter submitted to USA Today on Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM; rejected for publication at 2:35 PM:

For those who may still be unfamiliar, please allow me to briefly explain what’s happening in the U.S.A. today. When a law abiding citizen wishes to travel out of any major airport in the country where the latest air transportation security procedures have been implemented, he or she will now be subjected to what can only be truthfully described as a virtual strip search. The federal government is using funds raised through the Recovery Act to stimulate the economy by installing expensive new Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) systems at airport security checkpoints throughout the nation. These devices enable screeners to see beneath travelers’ clothing to an extremely invasive level of detail. For example, the images are graphic enough to enable agents to determine whether a man has been circumcised, or whether a woman is menstruating.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is quick to point out that this program is optional. Individuals who decline this indignity, or “opt out”, will instead be physically frisked, which entails a federal security agent’s hands passing over the entire body, including the buttocks, breasts, hair, and genitals. The agent will explain the procedure beforehand, and the traveler is expected to consent and comply or else opt back into the AIT scanner. Otherwise, he or she will not be admitted to the secured side of the facility or allowed to board an aircraft.

On October 15, I was turned away from the security screening checkpoint at Memphis International Airport when I declined both AIT screening and the secondary “enhanced pat-down” procedure. I was attempting to enter the facility for my commute to Houston, where I’m based as a pilot for ExpressJet Airlines, doing business as Continental Express. I did, however, pass through a standard impulse induction metal detector without triggering an alarm, just as I have done approximately once per week at that same checkpoint (which happens to be in Terminal C – hence, “Checkpoint Charlie”) for the past four and a half years.

TSA announced the new screening policies last July. When we learned about the changes, many of my coworkers and I were deeply disturbed, especially as we discovered that this mistreatment was being mandated for crew members as well as passengers – even children! We discussed the various ways in which we might express our rejection of the new rules. Unfortunately, there had been no proposal published, and no opportunity for the public to comment. TSA had simply issued its decree, and it was already on the books. Because we didn’t want an incident like mine to be the first indication of our dissent, our initial concern at the time was to notify the company that we do not consent to having images of our nude bodies produced as a matter of course in performing the routine duties of our profession.

“Neither,” we wrote last August in a letter to our managers, “can we abide being stopped daily by government agents and physically molested,” as a reasonable alternative.

We also wrote: “While we take airline security very seriously, we do not believe the dubious benefits of these invasive measures justify the trade off in employee and passenger privacy and other rights and liberties. It is our view that reasonable levels of security within the air transportation system can and must be achieved without producing images of travelers’ naked bodies or subjecting them without cause to… unwelcome touching at the hands of federally employed airport security guards.”

The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution states:

“The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.”

I specifically draw the reader’s attention to the first eight words. Our nation’s founders clearly affirmed “the right of the people to be secure”. It’s equally clear that they saw the kind of wholesale, unprovoked assault against persons and privacy that is being committed within our borders today as a serious threat to that security – serious enough, in fact, to write it down in the Bill of Rights.

What is happening in the U.S.A. today is not safe. The things our government is doing do not make us secure or protect us. On the contrary, it is now necessary for us to protect ourselves from our supposed protectors. My wife and I teach our children to defend their bodies, and not to allow anyone to touch them in certain ways – not even friends or relatives. But if we wish to travel by air as a family, we must now deliver our children over to such abuse at the hands of strangers and tell them it’s okay because these are security guards who work for the government and wear uniforms with shiny badges. We will not. It is not okay. And we urgently implore our neighbors everywhere to protect themselves and their families as well.

Click here to read our letter to ExpressJet Airlines Management.

Click here to read my same-day account of the incident at Memphis International Airport.

About Michael S. Roberts

Suspected terrorist/domestic extremist. Proficient sinner. Father of 6. INTP. Autodidact. Fed up pilot. Chatty by nature...
This entry was posted in The big picture, The facts. Bookmark the permalink.

144 Responses to Protect Yourself and Your Family Against TSA Tyranny

1. dozenz says:

I must have missed the section in the constitution where it states your right to fly wherever you want, whenever you want, with your own choice of security.

Flying is a luxury, not a right or necessity. You can always plan your trips accordingly to drive or take a train and if you’re not that flexible than your trip is not important enough in the first place so its a moot point.

You could possibly have a right to complain when there is no threat of planes being abudcted/bombed/used as weapons. Until that time, either submit to security measures or make other arrangements.

• I am currently utilizing other arrangements. Nevertheless, I will continue to fight for my natural rights and liberty (and yours), which most certainly are guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

• dozenz says:

But what right are you continuing to fight for? If you are referring to invasion of privacy, than you only have to turn around and leave the airport (or better yet not attempt to use it at all) and travel on your own.

It is your choice of you want to forgo some privacy, as a safety measure, to have the luxury of a more time/cost effective travel experience.

I fully support you if you want to fight for your rights, but this is not a case where your rights are being violated.

• Greg says:

you guys do realize he is a pilot right?

• Divinity says:

In response to “dozenz”…….
          First off I’d like to state that the Supreme Court would disagree with you (and has MANY times) about the right to travel…..

“The Right To Travel
          As the Supreme Court notes in Saenz v Roe, 98-97 (1999), the Constitution does not contain the word “travel” in any context, let alone an explicit right to travel (except for members of Congress, who are guaranteed the right to travel to and from Congress). The presumed right to travel, however, is firmly established in U.S. law and precedent. In U.S. v Guest, 383 U.S. 745 (1966), the Court noted, “It is a right that has been firmly established and repeatedly recognized.” In fact, in Shapiro v Thompson, 394 U.S. 618 (1969), Justice Stewart noted in a concurring opinion that “it is a right broadly assertable against private interference as well as governmental action. Like the right of association, … it is a virtually unconditional personal right, guaranteed by the Constitution to us all.” It is interesting to note that the Articles of Confederation had an explicit right to travel; it is now thought that the right is so fundamental that the Framers may have thought it unnecessary to include it in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights.”

However, this is not about the “right to travel” it’s about standing up to defend your rights against rogue “authority.” This is ABSOLUTELY a case of a violation of rights. Without even getting into the funding of erecting airports and all the ways that our tax dollars find their way into those projects, the TSA IS an agency of the federal government and they DO NOT have a right to violate our right to be secure in our persons. Naked body scanners ARE a violation of our right to privacy and sexual assault (which is EXACTLY what these new “pat down” measures are) is ILLEGAL. There is NO ONE and NO AGENCY who is above the law. There is no legal basis for the sanctification of a criminal act.

Sexual assault is NOT legal for ANYONE or ANY ENTITY to commit. PERIOD. No human being has a right to put their hands on another in a manner that is protested, inappropriate and most importantly, against the law. This is a very serious issue and it MUST be stopped.

What makes these egregious acts any different than when the Nazi’s forced the Jews to walk around naked? It’s the EXACT same abuse only it’s a high tech version of it. These “scanners” (electronic strip search machines) are not only in airports, they are in court houses and in MOBILE UNITS on the streets. They can be utilized to see right through the walls of your home. If it was done by anyone but the government, it would be a crime to be prosecuted. The government IS NOT above the law. It’s NONE of anyone’s business what you are doing within the walls of your own home. Whether you’re getting undressed, sleeping or being intimate with your spouse. This IS tyrranical.

It is an affront to the sensibilities that people seem to have forgotten that the government is subordinate to the PEOPLE, NOT the other way around. They are supposed to answer to US, NOT the other way around. If people don’t wake up and pluck their heads out of their rear ends, we are sentencing our children to a hellish existence. This is clear lawlessness and lawless authority is NOT TO BE RECOGNIZED! It is a rogue departure from the legal restraints that were designed to prevent this very kind of abuse.

If people are willing to tolerate this kind of lawlessness, they do not deserve the liberties that were purchased with the precious blood of their very own forefathers. I am sickened by the plague of apathy that is causing this once great nation to crumble.

“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” -Benjamin Franklin

Mr. Roberts,
          Many of your fellow countrymen & women do and will continue to fully support your demand that your rights be respected and honored. Thank you for being willing to sacrifice so much for what is right. We stand with you, sir.

Regards,
          Divinity

• Ryan Ziebro says:

It’s already been answered wonderfully by others. Seriously dozenz, he is a professional pilot and you’re pulling the “flying is a luxury” card? Flying is his lifeblood, the way he brings home the bacon. I can assure you, he didn’t pay his way through flight school to simply not fly because the TSA decides they have a right to see him naked. You’re so out of touch, it makes it clear to me how the government has gotten to the point it has; silent, obedient consent from the willfully ignorant and just plain cowardly.

• Flying may be a luxury, but it *is* unconstitutional for a government agent to search you without a warrant.

If private airlines wanted to institute such a policy, they could without violating your rights, but they’d probably have to offer a refund at the gate if they tried to put it into practice.

• Bob Showalter says:

“dozenz” looks for a “right to fly” in the Constitution, and finding none, assumes that any “security” procedures are presumably acceptable. But the Constitution is not a positive grant of rights to the people; it is the creation (constitution) of a government, limited in its powers and abilities to interfere with the people. The entire function of the TSA is to systematically exceed those limits and to interfere with innocent people.

But no piece of paper can protect our rights. We can only do that by asserting them. It’s tough to stand up when:

a) You need to get to your destination.

b) The TSA goons have all day to harass you. They have nowhere to be. You can obey, or miss your flight. What a choice.

c) “It only takes a moment/”

d) “dozenz” and his friends are bending over for the screening, anxious to get to their destination. Hurry along man, what’s your problem?

• All very true. As you say, the Constitution is about limiting government. So is my case, but going to the federal courts to sue the federal government is not without its difficulties. We the people must not look to anyone else to pass this verdict – the only question that matters is: what say WE?

And yes, there are many lesser complications, sacrifices, and injuries associated with defending our rights and liberty. But the right thing is the right thing, right? Seems like every generation in our history has been called upon at some point to get a little bloody as a testament to their own devotion to the principles of liberty and justice for all. If this is all that’s being asked of us, I’d say we’re a lot better off than many of our forebears.

2. Sid Berman says:

Hi Michael,
    I called you today and asked you to talk to Alex Jones (prisonplanet.com). He can get this story viral. The “lame stream media” in my opinion , would not be up to the task.
    Eric Blair, writing under the name of George Orwell, said “In a time of universal deceit-telling the truth is a revolutionary act”. Every day brings us closer to “1984″. Thank you for your courage in taking a stand for all of us.
    ” I am not a number, I am a free man”……….. Patrick McGoon “The Prisoner”
    I will not be groped during a pat down search like a criminal or be radiated .
    Sid Berman, Professional Pilot

• J says:

I fully agree with Sid on how to get your story more coverage to the right audience. Please consider this and I am sure you wouldn’t be disappointed at the results!! You can also try infowars.com as well.

3. Howard says:

michael, I need to speak to you personally. I am a usairways pilot with similar problems and am now being “thrown under the bus”! 863-328-4036

4. Howard says:

sorry,864-328-4036

5. tiacarolann says:

IF we are in fact Christian and believe that God came in the man named Jesus/Yeshua (hebrew) then we are children of God per (John 1:12) and God lives in us, so since I believe all scripture is from God, I CAN NOT let someone stranger touch me: as I am the temple of God per

2Corr 6:15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: “I WILL DWELL IN THEM AND WALK AMONG THEM. I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.” 17 Therefore “COME OUT FROM AMONG THEM AND BE SEPARATE, SAYS THE LORD. DO NOT TOUCH WHAT IS UNCLEAN, AND I WILL RECEIVE YOU.” 18 “I WILL BE A FATHER TO YOU, AND YOU SHALL BE MY SONS AND DAUGHTERS, SAYS THE LORD ALMIGHTY.”

1Co 3:16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.

‘DO NOT TOUCH’ MEANS ALSO ‘DO NOT BE TOUCHED’ BY UNCLEAN TSA AGENTS DOING THE DEVILS WORK !! God, Himself will destroy anyone who touches me against HIS will !!

6. Greg says:

They can’t pat down all of us. If they want to steal all of our freedoms I say make them earn it. Everyone needs to opt out or walk out. Perhaps a bill needs to come before congress that anyone has the right to walk out of the line if they do not agree to the security measures and the airline has to eat the fare. If we walk off and still have to pay, how is anyone but us losing?

Then again – no matter what you do against the govt you lose. They have unlimited amounts of your money and tons of laws and rules crafted in their favor to see to it that they win.

7. tiacarolann says:

oh yes, I am NOT using my ticket to fly Delta, Ft Meyers to Detroit 11-10-10 as I can not afford an attorney to bail me out. Of course, when I advised the Delta supervisor of my reason, she referred me to TSA. I suggested that Delta will feel the brunt of people cancelling and NOT booking flights and maybe when they get the hit in the pocket book, they will demand TSA cease and desist. So make sure they know why you cancel or don’t book !!

8. greg says:

Mr. Roberts
    It’s not only the indignity but it is also a possible danger to allow yourself to be subjected to this “low-level” radiation. Of course they say it’s perfectly safe but their track record of what is safe or not is pretty poor, I’d say. For one example, when I was a kid, my mother would take me to the Buster Brown shoe store where I’d try on a new pair of shoes then put my feet under a live x-ray!! to check the fit. This was also supposed to be perfectly safe.
    We as a people are being systematically destroyed as human beings by the lunatics that run us. I wish there was something we could do but we are always ignored.
    See you on the Dark side of the Moon…

• Carol L. Gothe says:

One of the considerations rarely mentioned is that, while the manufacturers claim the levels are far lower than other sources of radiation we experience on a regular basis, these claims would only apply to equipment just out of the box. We have no guarantees that these scanning units are going to be properly maintained and poor or no maintenance could result in increased exposure particularly in regard to the backscatter x-ray scanners.

But, in any case, x-ray radiation is cumulative, meaning these scanners should be of a particular concern to anyone already regularly exposed to radiation already, like airline pilots and stewards, pregnant women, and those with immune deficiencies.

I’m not finding much in regards to possible risks related to the use of millimeter wavelength imaging machines.

9. Mary says:

Michael,

I applaud your stand and support your position 1,000%! It is so easy for people to say “just stop flying if you don’t like it”. Comments such as that are a blatant example of the idiocy running rampant in society and so-called security agencies like the TSA. Another one I abhor is “but, American is the freest country in the world.” No, we’re not and as long as this “lie” continues, this situation and more will continue unabated.

When we abandon our core principles of “liberty and justice for all” and allow fear, tyranny, lies, degradation and humiliation of our loved ones and fellow citizens to win the day, we are lost. This is about taking back our power and freedom that has been stripped away by non-electeds like the head of Homeland Security through lies, intimidation and fear, fear, fear. Did you also know that the former head of H.S. has a consulting business with a client that makes these scanners? How very convenient that he was the one to state that scanners needed to be installed to “protect” us. When he left his unelected position, the implementation began. (See the link below)

FlyersRights President Kate Hanni Cites Michael Chertoff’s Conflict of Interest
    FlyersRights.org President Kate Hanni spoke of her concerns that not only are the scanners unable to do their job, but also that Michael Chertoff, former Department of Homeland Security Secretary, has a conflict of interest by promoting the technology of a company that is his client.

Read more at Suite101: Michael Chertoff, Conflict of Interest, Canines, and Body Scans http://www.suite101.com/content/michael-chertoff-conflict-of-interest-canines-and-body-scans-a222735#ixzz14j0Vh9Sl

Unfortunately, some people will not care one whit about this and will refuse to see it for what it is: favoritism, cronyism, but most importantly, destroying the “truths” that we supposedly hold as “self-evident”.

The entire system is corrupt and the longer we allow these violations to continue and not speak up, the more complicit we all become in the dismantling of our rights, not just as Americans but as human beings. Courage to take a stand is not reserved for those on some far-away battlefield. As Mark Twain said, “Courage is not the absence of fear. It is acting in spite of it.”

Bravo, Michael, for having the courage to take a stand and speak for many in the public! There are many who support you.

Mary

10. J says:

I think a good place to start is for all of us to flood the customer service numbers of all airlines to tell them as long as these “security” measures remain, they have lost our business. If enough people take part (as I already have started) this might get through and sink in – and hopefully it will be enough to get rid of these AIT’s and TSA assaults. Point is, do something and start somewhere, and this approach is really not difficult and requires little time.

11. Divinity says:

In response to the above comments by “dozenz” -
    First off I’d like to state that the Supreme Court would disagree with you about the right to travel…..

“The Right To Travel

However, this isn’t about the “right to travel” it’s about standing up to defend your rights against rogue “authority.” This is ABSOLUTELY a case of rights violations. Without even getting into the funding of erecting airports and all the ways that our tax dollars find their way into those projects, the TSA IS an agency of the federal government and they DO NOT have a right to violate our right to be secure in our persons. Naked body scanners ARE a violation of our right to privacy and sexual assault (which is EXACTLY what these new “pat down” measures are) is ILLEGAL. There is NO ONE and NO AGENCY who is above the law. There is no legal basis for the sanctification of a criminal act.

Mr. Roberts,
    Regards,
    Divinity

12. Pingback: World’s Pilots Reject Naked Body Scanners Over Radiation Danger, Privacy Breach « www.offmyfrontporch.com

13. Bruce Forney says:

THE FRENCH METHOD WORKS.
    I propose that someone organize a ‘National Stay At Home Day’. Passive resistance. Then, two days. A week. Don’t fly. Just look at the French. They’re experts at national strikes. Bring the airlines to their knees. The TSA might get straightened out in a hurry.
    It will require a small sacrifice on the part of many… inconvenience mainly. Spread the idea and date on the alternative sites… Just a 5% decrease on the first try will yield results.
    The TSA is all about psychological conditioning for a coming police state. It must be resisted. All bullies are the same. They must be resisted or they are emboldened. We americans are push-overs… so far. How much crap will we eat??
    Time to resist, folks.

14. mary says:

Thank you for standing up for all of us in the name of sanity and Liberty. Your courage, intelligence and commitment to Freedom is an inspiration to us all!

Whomever feels giving up our constitutional rights in this way for the sake of “safety” is either a total idiot with their head in the sand or has been drinking way too much fluoridated water. Think about it, men in caves on the other side of the world by-pass our supposed top notch intelligence and NORAD, not once, but 4 times they do not intercept the airplanes, oh right because Chaney gave the order to “Stand down” I almost forgot. The news reports building 7 has fallen a full 20 minutes before it even fell, you can even see it standing in the background of the woman reporter…. how many pilots and engineers for 911 Truth have come forward to say there is no way these buildings could have fallen without being rigged with explosives and why they found army grade thermite at ground zero.

Now they allow these idiots to grope us to keep us safer?

THEY DON’T WANT US SAFE! WHEN WILL YOU PEOPLE GET THIS????

Meanwhile top terrorist Al Qaeda, Alwaki, is having lunch at the Pentagon a few months after 9-11 with top brass! He was the mastermind behind the shoe bomber, the underwear bomber, the time square bomber and yet he is buddies with the CIA….COME ON PEOPLE DO YOU NOT SEE THE CONNECTION HERE? DO YOU NOT SEE THIS WAS ALL PLANNED TO PUT THEIR SCANNERS IN TO MAKE US SICK, TO HUMILIATE US INTO SUBMISSION ALL THE WHILE TAKING MORE AND MORE OF OUR FREEDOMS AWAY?

Allowing 5th grade educated, moronic, power tripping TSA to grope us and our children is the epitome of evil, as is the government who sanctions it. People who do not see this as wrong are seriously deluded.

These naked body machines have nothing to do with safety they are making Chertoff a filthy, rich man, and I do mean filthy.

THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES!!!!!……GET IT?

Whomever disagrees do not bother commenting to me…I do not debate with the insane or the stupid.

15. Hankh95 says:

Please post a template of a letter that all of us can send to our congress members and senators.

16. Ryan Ziebro says:

Hello Mr. Roberts,

I am in a crummy predicament with these machines arriving in airports near us all. I am a commercial pilot with about 1120 TT and 300 multi. I was laid off last July from my instructing job in Dallas and have so far been unsuccessful finding work in aviation (or in anything, really.) I know American Eagle is hiring, but I had a problem going to a place that is so backed up it could take 5-8 years to upgrade to captain. Colgan is hiring too, but that is basically scraping the bottom of the barrel. What makes all of these factors a real non issue for me now is the TSA and its new cancer/groping security measures.

I don’t really have much else to say, other than the TSA is now stomping on my career, wasting tens of thousands of my dollars. I will not submit myself to the State as a mainstay of my career, whether it be through receiving cancer causing radiation, or being molested publicly by an uneducated thug in a blue shirt and shiny badge. It’s sad to think that us pilots, who have gone through so much training, who possess so much mental discipline, who work so hard to make it in the industry, have to submit to Federal bottom feeders who would put “following orders” above “common sense” any day of the week. The TSA asked every one of it’s employees whether or not they had a problem with the scanners/new pat down procedure. Those who did were terminated, so we know the ones left behind are a special breed of scum.

Anyway, just my two cents. It’s really a bummer to be up against this nonsense now. I really thought I was going through the early stages at the perfect time in the aviation boom bust cycle. If we don’t get these things abolished soon, I may be out of the industry (or at least the airline industry) for good.

Thanks for standing up to TSA.

Ryan

• Only another pilot could truly understand how heartbreaking this is – and I do. Hell, I haven’t made it out of the right seat of an RJ myself yet, so I’m right there with you, really. But this is a national nightmare we’ve got on our hands – careers and everything else just have to be set aside until this threat to our way of life is contained. Otherwise, none of it is really going to make much difference. Just keep putting first things first and, even though it’ll be rough at times anyway, that’ll still keep you on the best possible course.

• Ryan Ziebro says:

I really appreciate your reply, thank you. I’m holding in there, I just wish revolting against the TSA and Federal Government was a paid position! Luckily I have a family to go home to and be supported right now, but it is truly a terrible state of limbo that I feel I’m in. Let me know if there is anything I can do for your cause, as I have plenty of free time right now.

Thank you again for the reply, and I hope all turns out well for you and your job at ExpressJet. (My favorite regional airline.)

-Ryan

17. ChinaWildMan says:

TSA = Total Sexual Assault on America

I and my family have flown a lot I myself have flown more than 2 million miles since first taking wing from Detroit to go to San Diego for Marine Boot Camp. I’ve always enjoyed flying even though as I got older the seats got a lot smaller and the silverware turned to plastic and the plastic food turned to soft drinks and peanuts. Yes, I have enjoyed flying but I don’t find it enjoyable in the least lately.

Why, don’t I like to fly anymore? I think its the fact that I have felt, even before 9/11 that airport security was pork barrel politics, jobs for people that the politicians wanted to use in some way. Maybe its the fact that we don’t fly on comfortable jets made in the USA any longer. I hate those regional jets made in Canada and South America. Maybe its the attitude of the stewards and stewardess’ that scream attitude (sit down, face to the front and shut up) or maybe its the screeners in the airport with their arab headdress or curry breath or their flush faced steroid bald heads with obviously nothing but roid eyes staring and daring you to speak your mind.

No, that’s not why I don’t like to fly anymore, its because they have turned the airport into the worst school play ground in America and staffed it with reluctant bullies that were at first uncomfortable with their position in life but are now banded together in this sinister gang and as members of a gang they’re becoming much more confident and are beginning to relish the implied power that they have. The TSA have become fiends and very willing participants in the Total Sexual Assault on America. Read that very carefully…. Total Sexual Assault on America.

Like I said I’ve traveled by air for years. I work as a contractor mostly for the government or prominent corporations. I have all the pre-requisite cards, Top Secret Clearance, TWIC Card, CAC Card, etc. For years no one bothered me, I was one of the boyz. I was one of the boyz until one of these gang members assaulted my wife by grabbing her breasts and feeling her up right in front of me. Her eyes pleaded with me to say or do something but I knew that if I did something overt I would be between a rock and a hard place. I winked at her to let her know that everything would be all right but, to myself I vowed to exact revenge for this insult to me and shame to my family but managed to rein in my rage, I can’t tell you how it made me feel – NO ONE CAN DO THAT TO MY WIFE AND GET AWAY WITH IT!

I resolved to exact some sort of revenge for this shame but didn’t know how it would be accomplished. I kept my eyes open and my wits about me and when the time came I found the agent walking briskly down the line behind me and I took that opportunity to extract my hard sided brief case off the line swinging it around as I headed for the exit of the controlled area as I did this the brief case caught the sexual predator in the groin and he let out a moan that literally brought a smile to my face. There was a flurry of activity and I was immediately shuffled off to a room where some very confused but obviously angry TSA officials threatened me with all kinds of horrible charges but I kept repeating, it was an accident I didn’t see anyone behind me… sorry, very sorry but laughing on the inside for having mashed him good!

After running a check on me, which I’m sure will warrant a note in my file, they to my surprise, decided to let me and my family board the airplane for the Philippines rather than have to take all of our baggage off the plane and delay the flight which was already a bit late.

On the way back nothing happened when we arrived at Los Angeles and boarded our flight home but even at that upon arriving at home my wife says we aren’t flying again unless our lives depend upon it.

18. Peggy Rose says:

Mr Roberts,
    Thank you for making this stand. I don’t think people realize that these types of violations are going on everywhere. It takes courage and sacrifice. Most people would rather just move along like sheep being led to the slaughter. I recently removed my child from public school because they tired to force her to remove her blouse to do a scoliosis screeing. When she refused the school nurse tried to intimidate her and told her it was the law. Outrageous! That was her last day in the public indoctrination system. This kind of conditioning is happening everywhere. We must protect ourselves and our children. Thought you might be interested in reading this letter sent to the Commitee on Homeland Security. In fact you may want to contact Ralph Nader.

May 28, 2010
    The Honorable Bennie G. Thompson
    Committee on Homeland Security
    U.S. House of Representatives
    Washington, D.C. 20515
    Dear Representative Thompson:
    We the undersigned consumer, privacy, and civil rights organizations and advocates are writing
    to urge you, as Chairman of the Committee on Homeland Security, to demand that the
    Department of Homeland Security (DHS) stop the deployment of full-body scanning devices in
    US airports until an independent review of the devices’ health effects, effectiveness and privacy
    safeguards is completed.
    By the end of next year two out of every three passengers will be directed to enter one of these
    machines for a head-to-toe body scan. A large number of these devices will be the ‘backscatter’
    scanner which use low-dose x-rays to scan passengers.
    Scientists and radiation experts have come forward disputing the DHS claims that the x-ray
    doses pose negligible health risks to passengers. Several distinguished members of the science
    and medical faculty of the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) wrote to President
    Obama’s science adviser, John Holdren, stating that government officials have underestimated
    the x-ray dose these devices deliver to the skin. The UCFC scientists are concerned about the
    potential for skin cancers, and harm to pregnant women and those with compromised immune
    systems.
    Another respected scientist, David Brenner, director of Columbia University’s Center for
    Radiological Research gave a briefing to the Congressional Biomedical Caucus on airport
    backscatter scanners in March where he advised that more research is needed on the health
    impacts of low-dose radiation exposure. Dr. Brenner urged caution in employing any technology
    which would expose 800 million annual airport users to radiation. Dr. Brenner was a member of
    the government panel that set the radiation safety guidelines for the airport body scanners in
    2002. He has now said that he would not have signed the report if he had known that the x-ray
    backscatter technology would be the primary security device for all airline passengers.
    Last February, the Center for Study of Responsive Law and the Electronic Privacy Information
    Center (EPIC) convened a symposium on airport body scanners where we gathered experts in
    aviation security, radiation health and privacy. Symposium participants concluded that the
    devices can be easily defeated by concealing explosives in body cavities; the actual radiation
    health risks are unknown because no independent study has been undertaken; and privacy
    safeguards are unacceptable because the disabling of the machines’ ability to record and store
    naked images of passengers can be reactivated by the Transportation Security Agency (TSA)
    whenever it wants.
    On April 21, a broad coalition of organizations sent a formal petition to the DHS demanding that
    they suspend the body scanner program. The petition states that the “uniquely intrusive search”
    is unreasonable and violates the Constitution. The petition further states the program fails to
    comply with several federal laws, including the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, the Privacy
    Act of 1974, and the Administrative Procedures Act. The petitioners also argue that the machines
    are ineffective and that there are better, less costly security technology. The DHS has yet to
    respond to the petition, and there is no indication when or if they ever will do so.
    Passenger complaints to the TSA obtained by an EPIC Freedom of Information Act request,
    reveal that in practice many passengers are directed to a scanning machine without being given
    the option of an alternative pat down security search, as mandated by the TSA. Many passengers
    objected to scanning on religious grounds and parents complained about having their children
    subjected to scanning both on health and privacy concerns.
    On April 12, US Senators Collins, Kyl, and Chambliss wrote to DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano
    urging that the DHS reconsider the whole body scanner program. The Senators encouraged
    Secretary Napolitano to consider “auto-detection” scanning devices, currently used in the
    Amsterdam airport, which may address privacy concerns and avoids exposing passengers to
    radiation.
    The TSA has made costly errors in the past concerning new security technologies. The “puffer”
    devices were cancelled at a cost of $30 million after the TSA found them be “unreliable.”
    The potential public health risks, privacy concerns, taxpayer costs and questionable effectiveness
    of body scanners demand that the DHS stop the deployment of body scanners to the nation’s
    airports until an impartial panel can be convened to study these issues.

Sincerely,
    Ralph Nader
    American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
    Bill of Rights Defense Committee
    Center for Financial Privacy and Human Rights
    Consumer Action
    Consumer Federation of America
    Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC)
    Essential Information
    National Workrights Institute (NWI)
    Privacy Activism
    Privacy Rights Clearinghouse
    Chip Pitts, Stanford Law School

References:
    Letter from UCSF Faculty to John Holdren, WH Science Adviser: http://n.pr/bKGCKx
    Briefing by Dr. David Brenner on Airport Body Scanners: http://lifescience.blip.tv/
    Petition for Suspension of TSA Full Body Scanner Program: http://bit.ly/dfawrQ
    Letter from Senators Collins, Kyl and Chambliss to DHS Secretary Napolitano: http://bit.ly/bJFn5K
    cc: The Hon. Sheila Jackson-Lee, Chair, Subcommittee on Transportation Security and
    Infrastructure

19. You guys have been awesome with all the comments today on this, the inaugural post on Fed Up Flyers. Thank you!

Please continue to discuss among yourselves. I’m going to try to put some more content up on the site over the next couple days and make it more functional. Please spread the word and check back often for frequent updates…

20. D Costa says:

Michael Roberts/Pilot,

As a medical doctor, a board certified specialist in Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, I can say that exposure to these airport full body scanners is dangerous to ones health and well-being especially for people who travel frequently such as the airline pilots where there will be repeated exposure to the same threat. This is highly unnecessary.

According to what I know the underlying motive is much more sinister than monetary gain. Tyranny in any form needs to be resisted.

I applaud Pilot Michael Roberts not only for his courage to refuse this invasion of his privacy but informing the public about it. I thank Michael Roberts and hail him as a true hero!.

• Thank you – and you’re absolutely right. The health aspects are a very big deal. I haven’t raised the issue too much because I never had any intention of entering the AIT scanners. But when your only other choice is to suffer the trauma of a physical, sexual assault, you’re sort of between a rock and a hard place!

21. Susan says:

We have to stop acting like a helpless bunch of sheep.

I have posted a contact list of all the newly elected representatives and senators here. You can get busy and start writing.

I was having a discussion about this with a friend yesterday, and he reminded me of something – that the enemy’s weakness is our strength, and that an enemy’s apparent strength can be turned into a vulnerability.

We can all opt out of getting zapped by radiation. We can choose to make these TSA droids very uncomfortable groping us. There will be a lot of anger, missed flights, cancelled flights, etc but so be it. It will be the 2010 version of a “sit-in.” Congress will start wondering why these zapping machines that taxpayers paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for aren’t getting used. We can make the system *not work*.

22. Pingback: World Untainted News » Blog Archive » Protect Yourself and Your Family Against TSA Tyranny

23. Divinity says:

Mr. Roberts,

I just wanted to add that should you lose your job because of your courage, I am certain that many people (including myself) would be more than willing to ensure that you are able to continue to put food on your table for your family.

24. Karla says:

Sir I highly commend your rightful stand and I support your stance and had stopped giving the airlines my money due to this SS conditioning of the public to give up their God given rights to liberty. We The People have allowed mere man-made laws to trump over “The Law & Statutes of Gods Covenant” with his people. It is my intent to just let you know that I willnot abide by the airlines foolishness and stand with you on this matter.

25. Susan says:

Here is a list of mailing addresses of major carriers in the US, along with the names of their company CEOS:

If anybody can think of ones I missed, please post here and I’ll update the list.